My scary evening. 

I sit in the emergency room with my 11 month old son. I had to give him his epi pen after an accidental peanut butter ingestion.  Such a stupid accident, I worked so hard to be careful there were no nuts in the house. I didn’t even realize what happened. My kids found an old dog toy. Hadn’t been used in forever, but it’s the kind you can stuff with treats.  Well, i guess at some point I had put PB in it, and some shook loose as the kids played. 

Next thing, my little guys cheeks are so red and full of hives.  I try not to panic as he starts to gag and I worry his breathing is becoming raspy.  I quickly give him his shot and head to the hospital. 

My son, he will be fine, but I’m so scared for him. That this is his life and stupid accidents could happen anywhere. Thank god we were in our own home, and he was with me. 

This worry I feel for my kids is all encompassing sometimes. How do I let them gain independence? Part of me wants to hover at all times.  I’m so scared for them, but I can’t let them see that anxiety either. How did my parents do it with me? ( I as well have a serious allergy). 

I can expect a few panic attacks in my future.  

I just love them so much.  

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “My scary evening. 

  1. poyhonen says:

    Excerpt from the peanut institute:
    Scientific Research

    The allergens in peanuts have been identified as proteins called Ara h 1, Ara h 2, and Ara h 3. A number of therapeutic interventions to reduce or eliminate peanut allergy are currently are being investigated. Among these are Chinese herbal medicine, anti-IgE therapy, oral immunotherapy, and vaccine strategies that utilize genes from peanut proteins.

    Experimental Approaches

    “Food Allergy Herbal Formula-2” is a Chinese herbal therapy that is being tested and shows promise. When this formula was used in mice for seven weeks it prevented anaphylactic reactions for six months following the treatment. The formula is currently being tested at FDA as a new botanical drug in patients with food and peanut allergy.

    Another therapy that has shown some success in increasing the threshold of sensitivity to peanut allergens is called anti-IgE therapy. Immunoglobulin E (IgE) is a type of protein found in our immune system that identifies foreign objects, such as bacteria. This protein is also involved in anaphylaxis that can occur in some who are allergic to peanuts. Injecting other proteins that bind IgE in our blood, helps calm the immune reaction.

    Recently, it was shown that the blocking of the certain hormones involved in causing anaphylaxis resulted in significant reductions in the severity of peanut-induced anaphylaxis in mice. In all but one mouse, the reactions were mild.

    The most promising emerging strategy is called oral immunotherapy. It uses peanut protein to increase tolerance to peanuts. A 2009 study gave small daily doses of peanut flour, which contains high levels of peanut protein, to peanut allergic children over a number of weeks. All of the allergic children were ‘desensitized’ to the peanut allergen, including one that was highly allergic. The levels of peanut protein were increased two times each week and ultimately the children could eat up to 10 peanuts without a reaction — more than someone would encounter during accidental ingestion.

    Although oral immunotherapy remains experimental, it could be extremely valuable to children with severe peanut allergy and to those who have reactions when exposed to very small amounts. Researchers recommend that at this time, it only be carried out in a clinical setting under trained medical supervision.

    Hope this may help point the way to assistance. Sure is a scary situation.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s